Friday, October 24, 2008

An unexpected sight

Well I'm on an RDO today, what a lovely way to end the week. I've had a great week. Do you ever get to the end of it feeling really fulfilled? I do enjoy my days now that I'm back in HR, I feel useful and a help to the people I service.

So I decide today I may go over to my nearest Safeways, a good 35 minutes drive away and do a nice big grocery shop. So I set off down the street to the corner and I'm thinking ... huh? that rock there just moved. I pulled up at the corner and there it went again. It moved again in the middle of the intersection. So I got out of my car and lo and behold there was a turtle hightailing it across the road ... or at least as fast as hightailing it goes for a turtle.

So of course I call Mike because I don't know how to handle a turtle and he was still in the front yard and could see I had stopped. The turtle looked just as surprised to see both of us. Mike ended up doing a little door knock of the street and found where Tommy Turtle had escaped from so all was well.

But that made me laugh at all the strange little critters that we've encountered since I've moved to the country. Now by no means I'm on a country property, we live in the town on a 1/4 acre block. But we have had a few visitors from time to time.

Like the day I was in the kitchen and a fuzzy little yellow duckling walked right in through the back door and decided to survey what was going on. Oh and the time when someone's ferret had escaped and had me screaming all over the backyard, ick. I wasn't going anywhere near it and Molly was barking up a storm at it. And then there was the time the big big lizard showed up and decided to sun itself on the front lawn once. And now a turtle walking down the middle of the street and into the intersection. You just never know what to expect in the country.

What a segue into the layout I'm about to show you, again for the family album. You really do never know what to expect and when your luck will change. Dad was always forever the optimist and always got his lotto ticket of a Saturday night and always a couple a scratchie tickets. There used to be small Channel 7 timeslot called "Scratch 'n Spin" with Debbie Phin where they would draw out some unlucky scratch cards and that person was invited to come into Channel 7 for a second chance spin at the wheel. It was amazing but true but dad's card got pulled out.

I remember we went into Channel 7 and John Deeks showed us around and met a few of the celebrities there, then dad was on telly spinning the wheel and all of a sudden the jackpot was spun up. It was crazy. We have a video from Channel 7 of the footage that went to air, it's terrific to look back on and remember. This was the official photograph taken by the lotto organisation for their record books, and I really love this picture of our family.

Photobucket

Credits here.

8 comments:

Rose Red said...

wow! what a great story Carol! Hope you got to buy something special! (and is that your brother with the mullet??!!)

I remember digging a turtle up in the garden when I was a kid. So very very unexpected!

Bells said...

I love it! I know someone who was related to someone who won lotto!

And a turtle? A duckling? Fabulous stories. I'm so glad the turtle had a home to go to before he was in real danger.

Lynne said...

What a fabulous story. You dad looks real pleased!!

We live on the outskirts of metropolitan Sydney and often see foxes, rabbits and ducks [sometimes with ducklings] when driving nearby. Occasionally we see turtles crossing the road.

Margaret said...

Well it is nice to sort of know someone who has won on scratchies. Your family look wonderfuly happy.

Amandac said...

What a great photo of you all! Love how you are all bursting out of the page! You really do have a great eye for a page Carol! LOL at the turtle!

Leonie said...

That's a great story about your animal visitors. I grew up in a smallish country town and we never seemed to get any visitors like that. Although if we had, goodness knows what my brothers would have done with them!

PS thanks for the SSK link, it was very helpful!

Victoria said...

What a lucky turtle that you are so observant! Turtle are a mess to pick up because one defense they have is urinating a bucket load.
I wonder what you would think of our little ferret, Jasper?

I love the busted out paper, the triumphant fist and jubilant family layout! So cool!

SaschkaH said...

Do you ever see Free Range Cows my darling Carole?

If so, I don't think you'll ever get rid of me... :D