Sunday, October 26, 2008

Rudolph the red nosed reindeer !!

That's me at the moment, I have a lovely red sunburnt nose. One of the ladies I know in town was having a 40th birthday BBQ down at the park and it was lovely to sit and relax and chat and eat, but every time that sun poked out from behind the clouds it was fierce. Fierce enough that our chairs kept following the shade of the trees around.

I knew it was going to be a warm one today, it was quite a warm night and I went to sleep with the fan on the timer. I love sleeping with air blowing in the room and during summer I get so used to the whir of the fan that by the time the weather cools again I find it hard to sleep in the silence. Bo the cat wanted out at about 5.30am. No use Mike hearing her meowing, he would sleep through anything. As I opened the backdoor I stood there thinking how warm it was at that time and there was no wind, not even a gentle breeze, the evening was perfectly still.

I have been doing a lot of sewing lately. See Tracey, I might do a lot of scrapbooking, but I do sew too, it's not a myth!!! I'm making my Christmas stockings again this year. I've had too many requests not to. After last year I wasn't in a position to even attempt it with dad being ill and passing away. Have a look...

MollyBo Handmade Gifts

Okay here we go for the family album, and I'm not even sure if I have shown you this first page before, so forgive me if you've already seen it. I had done the second page to appear opposite, so may as well show you the both together. Don't you just *LOVE LOVE LOVE* the hat mum is wearing in her going away outfit in the second page. It's fabulous.

And I was very sneaky and got a scan of their actual printed invitation, now preserved for all of history!!

Photobucket

Photobucket


Credits here and here.

I have since found out, after flattening this page, that I had the story wrong. A football officienado who I checked with indicated that the reason the Grand Final was in October in 1963, rather than that "one day in September" is that in round 11 there was torrential rain and it reduced the grounds to boggy messes and the VFL (as was the league in those days) called off the entire round, which pushed all games out by a week, so that's how it ended up being the Grand Final in October that year. Since finding this out, I've changed the journalling on the page that I uploaded for my shutterfly printed book.

Well that's it from me, I'm heading off to the land of nod ... with of course the fan blowing!!

5 comments:

Rose Red said...

my mum had a very similar hat for her going away outfit in 1959. In fact, she still has it (the hat and the dress, and the shoes too!!)

Amandac said...

Oh these pages are lovely Carol! I love the confetti and the scanned invite! How fabulous preserving it for all eternity! Sorry to hear about your poor nose though, don't forget to put some aloe vera on it! Can't wait to see your Christmas stockings :)

Unknown said...

Your stockings are absolutely gorgeous!! Enjoy the warm weather for me, we had to turn our heat on today! :(

Lynne said...

Your poor mother!
I hope the Wallabies are not playing Rugby Union anywhere in the world on January 31! I think DD would be less than impressed. She has to compete with the cricket as it is!

Bells said...

Oh gorgeous. You just have the most fabulous eye for this stuff. And that hat! Oh my.