Sunday, October 19, 2008

Biker Chick

I love this page I've just made of mum. Yes, again for the family album. I'm really digging out some gems of pictures. My grandpa passed away in June of 1997 and four months later mum was facing her first birthday without her dad in her life. She had really been struggling with grief and working her way through that.

I wanted to put a smile on her face for her birthday and invited her "Wednesday morning ladies" to afternoon tea. She has a group of ladies in the street that they all meet every Wednesday morning for tea and scones, it's been a long long standing tradition and still remains today. So I invited them over to mum's for afternoon tea which I put on for all of them.

We were all in on a little secret though, ah ha!

I had arranged and we were all in on it, unbeknowns to mum, that during the afternoon a Harley biker dude would arrive to take her on an hour's joy ride around Geelong. Now I thought surely THAT would put a smile on her face and lift her spirits.

So we were enjoying our afternoon tea and nibblies and VROOOOM VROOOOOM the biker pulls into the driveway. We all mask a look of surprise and mum sits up and looks out the window in shock, still not registering, thinking that a biker had inadvertently come to our house and was revving his motor in the driveway. VROOOOM VROOOOOM he was revving really loudly and we dragged her out onto the front porch and all yelled out "SURPRISE". Mum had a look of horror and point blank refused to get on it. No way no how was she getting on that bike. In the end we grabbed her coat and with the persuading of her friends (nothing like wanting to save face in front of the girls huh?) dad bodily lifted her up and plonked her on the bike. hahahahaha She was too short to get on it herself.

Well we just all sat and talked while she went revving off down the street on her joy ride. An hour later the VROOOOM VROOOOOOMing bike pulls in and mum had a look of elation on her face. She got off that bike (well, okay got lifted up and off the bike) and she was like Rocky. Give her a stack of stairs to run up. She could take on the world.

Score 1 for my great birthday idea.

Photobucket

Credits here.

Sharon's new Stormy Skies paper was perfect for this page. Go check them out at twolittlepixels.

And as for my great idea about the Friday Night Knitting Club book, Bells tells me it's already been done and forwarded on to knitters everywhere to read. So much for great ideas.

Oh and an update from the V.E.T. (see, I'm still whispering it) visit yesterday. I omitted to tell you I did get another little rap over the knuckles from him about Molly's weight. I kept telling him that she was a mix, obviously lab but with something quite hefty. I saw the look he gave me, silently saying "yes but she's not mixed with a hippo is she?". Okay so he didn't say that out loud but I heard him say it subliminily.

So here I admit, she weighed in at 42 kilograms. That's 92 and a half pounds my overseas friends. Yes that's big. But she's active and happy and healthy. So is it a bad thing? I know as she is aging it is, so we're on a health kick from today. I sat down and gave her a good talking to and she's with me on it, LOL. She has to be right? Can't exactly go to the cupboard herself and grab food.

Shall let you know of our future progress in the weight loss department.

6 comments:

Amandac said...

Poor molly - fancy having to go on a diet at her age LOL well I'll be with her in spirit as i am planning on going back to walking daily starting tomorrow! As I'm slugging up the local hills i will think of molly suffering the pangs of dieting and I'll be stronger! Another great page there carol! Such a great memory for your Mum to have!!

Victoria said...

I lOVE the surprise! You are too clever! No doldrums allowed around you.
Molly and I are in the same boat!

Polly said...

Just fabulous Carol - you really are a thinker!!!

Lisa Beth said...

What fun! Such a grand idea for a wonderful woman.

And poor Molly. I know you'll keep on the straight and narrow but will Mike?

Margaret said...

Your mum has a smile on her face and looks happy. I hope she enjoyed that wonderful experience Great Thinking

Lynne said...

Carol, I'd like to read it and I promise to pass it on! "My" copy has been promised since June last year but I still haven't seen it [strange sets of circumstances].

A couple of years ago, WM got a phone call at work: "Could you come up and get your present?" so he goes up the stairs from the station, round the corner and there is a Harley trike waiting to take him on his joy ride! I got him real good!! [Great minds think alike? LOL]