Thursday, June 5, 2008

Sometimes things don't turn out as planned

But they can be even better.

This weekend there's a girl's weekend planned in Brisbane. Yes, a long way to go for a weekend, but these are dear dear friends and in the initial stages I was going to go. But then a planned BBQ with overseas relatives of Mike's got in the way and I decided to stay home for the opportunity of meeting them. Then the BBQ got changed so I thought I might end up getting away to Brisbane again.

Then mum said, of her own accord, without any pressure from me, 'how about I come up the Queen's Birthday weekend'. YAY YAY YAY, jumping up and down I was. And she's doing it under her own steam and is taking the train here.

So whilst there was an up, then a down, there was definitely another up again.

This is a big thing for mum, her first train ride on her pat malone in 44 years. She's nervous as anything. But my brother will be putting her on the train at one end and I'll be waiting on the platform at the other. Funny how little things we take for granted can send other people into a cold sweat. I know once she's done the journey on her own once, she'll be right. She just needs to take this first step.

Onto digi scrapping. Did you download twolittlepixels' last newsletter, you still can if you as yet haven't, it's still available here. As well as some fabulous freebies inside, there was also a tutorial to make your own blinkie. To date all other instructions I've read on the web had my head spinning and I just couldn't work it out. Until now. I feel really quite clever. So here it is, of course using 2LP products ...

Photobucket


Now back to the lost slides. I had previously created this page, but I had done it in a hurry and had never been quite happy with it. Plus I have since found out that I had the original story wrong. The photos were from 1967 but the story I had told was from 1963. So I ended up rejigging the lot and made it look a lot more vintage, more in sync with the era of the photos.

I tell you, looking at these old lost slides, it's been a journey and a half. Seeing pictures of us that I've never seen before, almost like discovering a past you knew existed but seeing little bits of it for the first time.

Photobucket


Credits here.

4 comments:

Bells said...

yes it's a shame we can't be there. But you are going to hvae a fab time with your mum - good for her making the trip!

Amandac said...

You were coming to BRISBANE!!!!! Omg - ummmmm I live in Brisbane my friend!!!! And I LOVE coffee LOL. I'm really glad your weekend is still going to work out fabulously - it is great that your Mum is getting out and about! I hope you are feeling better Carol! Hugs

Victoria said...

Yeah for your mum and all her gumption! I can tell she loves you so much!

I love the story about the meat hitting the floor and grandma just dusting it off! I see the 3 second rule has been around for a bit. ;) I love the layout, too! :)

deborah a/k/a SimplyVixen said...

ooooooooooooh carol
am so glad that you are sharing these memories with US! just luv christmas 1967, 'twas a good year,
for kids lol
it's fabulous! luv luv luv it!
hope you're feeling better gf!
hugs!