Thursday, June 12, 2008

Oh the shame ...

We are going to a trivia night in town tomorrow night and it's "bring a plate". Yikes. You know living in the country one of the biggest lessons I've learnt is "bring a plate" doesn't mean going to the supermarket and picking up a packet of Tim Tams and scattering them on a plate. No siree Bob!

It is "bring a plate Olympics". The lighter, the bigger, the more cream, the fluffier, it's all looked at by everyone and horror of horrors if your plate doesn't get finished, or heaven forbid doesn't even get touched, well you may as well hang your head in shame as you leave carrying your still fully laden plate home with you.

That's where a husband and his mates come in and I MAKE them go eat my stuff, haha!

So tonight I set about making my *easy-peasy-never-fail-can-make-it-with-my-eyes-closed-Sultana-cake* in readiness for tomorrow night. Yes true, it does have a name that long! Except as the cake was happily baking and I was washing the cooking dishes and then I put the containers of flour, sugar, etc. away ... what did I spy on my kitchen bench. The baking powder. Which I had forgotten to put in the cake.

Flip. The cake (using plain flour of course) has come out as flat as a pancake.

Looks like I'll be ducking down to a bakery out of town, cutting up a few bits and pieces and pretending tomorrow night. Expect an Academy Award performance, ROFLMAO!


The peeps I want to know more about meme

A little bit ago Bells tagged me and I'm still yet to reply, so here tis.

The rules: Each player answers the questions about themselves. At the end of the post, the player then tags 5-6 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read your blog. Let the person who tagged you know when you’ve posted your answer.

1) What was I doing ten years ago?
Hmmm 1998 and I was (cough cough) 33 years old. To be honest I wasn't doing anything that exciting. I was living in a house on my own. Oh hang on, that's the year my life changed I do believe. I got my very first computer in 1998 and hooked up to the internet. And a huge beautiful world came right to me in my living room. I have made some amazing friends through this medium and you know who you are because I don't give this blog address out to just anyone.

2) What are five (non-work) things on my to-do list for today:
Well considering the day is just about over I can tell you what non-work to do things I did today-
1. Visited Spotlight at lunchtime to check out the Cleckheaton Vintage Hues yarn on sale.
2. Short walk with Molly when I got home, it's getting dark way too soon.
3. Cooked dinner.
4. Scrapbooked.
5. Made a cake, if you deign to call it that. Hmmmph.

3) Snacks I enjoy:
Chocolate
Sourdough bread toasted with butter and honey
Chicken potato chips

4) Things I would do if I were a billionaire:
Quit work.
Travel.
Spoil our families.
Build the house of our dreams.
And then open up my own shop, something I would dearly love to do.

5) Places I have lived:
Born bred and lived the majority of my life in Geelong until I married and moved to a little town in country Victoria, population around about 1000.

6) Jobs I have had:
Legal Secretary
Executive Support
Human Resource

7) Peeps I want to know more about:
I will just say anyone who may read my blog and who might like to do this, feel free, but let me know so I can read more about you.


And last but not least ...

I really have been slack in showing off my pages so here's one a did a short while back. This will go in my shhhhh sister-in-law's birthday album for next year. Isn't my nephew cute, and yes, this is the real deal colour of the icecream.

Photobucket


Credits here.

6 comments:

Victoria said...

ARGH! When I do such things Michael calls them my chemistry problem. Somehow that softens the blow. I love the competitive nature of these gatherings.

Your little tidbits are so fun to read. I have not thought to toast sourdough and apply honey and butter. This I think I shall try.

That ice cream reminds me of Rachel's favorite Cotton Candy Explosion. Such a great page! :)

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

You do realise that, "the never fail" was just asking for trouble!!! Sounds like what i would do! And you are right...the more cream the better!
Just in case you need help from the trivia queen, Angelina's kids are Maddox, Pax, Zahara and shiloh-now you are ready for anything!! lol Tracey

Amandac said...

Ohhhhh Noooo! Not flat sultana cake - I remember last years trivia night and you bought food home! I'm thinking you might have to veto the trivia night coz its way too stressful! Carol that is a gorgeous page! The colours are just perfect fort that disgustingly cool icecream LOL

Bells said...

Oh I have done that. One little ingredient - and it matters so much!

Lovely meme answers - is your shop idea still a christmas shop idea or has it changed?

deborah a/k/a SimplyVixen said...

oh carol... you should have seen my cream flats lol that puff pastry just did not wanna puff, dont'ya just hate when that happens?

ya know... this is my favorite Eye Candy blog, you never fail to treat us with wonderful little surprises filled with bits and pieces of you, scrapping happily away!

just LUV the selective coloring on the ice cream gf... and the page is simply delicious!

Lynne said...

Next time, make lemon icing, sprinkle it with coconut and call it a slice!