Saturday, January 5, 2008

First of all - thank you

Thank you one and all for the condolences sent. What an amazing community blogland is. You really don't even know me do you, apart from the blog, and yet all these warm and beautiful sentiments both sent here and to my email for those who have it. Thank you. It helped.

Can I share with you part of the tribute my wonderful husband gave at dad's funeral, because this really sums up dad's courageous battle in the final weeks after he lost the ability to swallow and made his own decision not to have a feeding tube to survive.

"... In closing, throughout his illness, John never complained about his unfortunate situation, and so I learned that he possessed patience. But beneath the calm exterior, I also learned that John was a fighter, because when the inevitable occurred, he made the conscious decision to deny his illness any further control over his life. It was a courageous decision, knowing full well what the end result would be, and that his destiny would arrive sooner, rather than later. John was a man that any man would have been proud to have called his Father in Law and friend.

He was a big man with a big heart and our lives have been enriched for having known him."


These photos formed part of the Order of Service at the funeral but I've added others to show a journey through dad's life.



Credits here

Thank you friends for understanding.

6 comments:

Chronic Ennui said...

Such a beautiful, beautiful tribute. How lucky you are to have had such a great man for a father an another obviously kind and loving one for husband.

Heather said...

What a beautiful tribute, both the photo layout and the excerpt from the service.

Victoria said...

What wonderful words and memories of a beloved father! The scrapbook page brought tears to my eyes. The visual stroll through his life is part of the wonderful legacy of his "well lived life". (((hugs))) to you, your dear husband and sweet mum!

Unknown said...

Hi Sapph, was having a look at your blog and came across the news of your father. The scrapbook page is just gorgeous and brought tears to my eyes.

Amandac said...

What beautiful words Carol, what a beautiful tribute. *hugs*

Lynne said...

Carol, istumbeld across your blog today from a comment you left on Bells' blog.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad; your husband's tribute is beautiful.

I love the layout you did to celebrate his life. Thank you for reminding me how much my ailing [79year old] dad means to me.

http://2hot2knit.blogspot.com/