Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Show and tell

I say with a little giggle. Didn't you just love Show & Tell at school? I adored it.

Anyway I'm so darn proud of myself. I must admit I've had a few frantic emails to Bells because these socks look too small, but she assures me they will stretch. I do envision these going to my young niece if they don't stretch. Should we call it yet another practice sock. And isn't it the most fabulous colours. The yarn is from Opal. And it's really really working. I hope to soon have one finished so I can pop it on Southern Summer of Socks. What a great site that Bells and RoseRed have started for the sock knitters, and what a lovely outpouring of comments and advice and just general cheering from the sidelines when people are showing their fabulous sock creations. I'm enjoying it immensely.

I have listened intently to all advice and although I still ended up a little gappy in the join, I used the tail and the active wool and knitted together for 3 stitches. It seems to have worked. And I've only had one instance of the stitch falling off the end of the dpn which after a small and intense panic (arrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!) I was able to pick up again. Oh the stress of it all, LOL.
Shows what a good movie will do, I actually sat for 2 hours solid and knitted. te he, Mike thought it was the pleasure of his company, if only he knew it was wanting to do more rounds of the sock!! Plus even before I left for work this morning. Oh what has become of me.

Now amongst all this, I will show you my other stitchery. You know the pretty charms that you put over the new bride's hand at the wedding after the ceremony. I guess American's do that too? I really loved all my beautiful charms and I have them all in my memory box and lovingly look at them from time to time.

Well I've made a few personalised ones for weddings I've been too, and my dearest friend from work, is going to a family wedding on the weekend and I offered to make her one too. I have the names on the front and the date of the wedding on the back. Too easy. But very memorable.

Frames from [ksharonkdesigns]


3 comments:

Bells said...

Carol it's looking marvellous! It looks like a good size - last week I saw a crocheted sock and they are made 'to size' because crochet doesn't stretch as much. It made me realise how small we make our socks and how much they grow. Love the colours and love the movie comment!

Now don't panic as you get nearer the heel. You're not too far really and I think when you do it, if you're freaking out, I'm gonna call you and go through it with you step by step. You'll look back and wonder what all the fuss was for!

Bells said...

oh and I ALWAYS get the joining gap. No matter how hard I try. I fix it with a stitch or two to pull it into line when I'm finishing off the sock later on, if I need to.

Victoria said...

This is quite exciting! The colors are pretty cool and your description of first adult sock making anxiety is rather riveting! It reminds me of the line from Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory when he says, "The suspense is terrible. I hope it will last."