Monday, October 8, 2007

Ready for it ... my first sock !!

Okay so it's a wee little training sock, but it's a sock, and it's worked with dpns, and I did a heel and everything. So alright the ribbing at the top is a bit wonky. The patterns tell you to "join", but when you don't know how, it's a bit daunting. I kind of joined it my own way, don't look too close.

But what you can look close at is where the needles went from one to the other. Other times when I've tried I've had big gapey lines at the joins, and I can't see that in this one. I really truly did it. Bells, I know you are reading this and your heart is swelling with pride, roflol.

Bells kindly put me onto the Knitty Training Sock Pattern, and it's been very very helpful. There may not have been a lot of style in the way I held the needles, but here is the finished product ..

So, am I ready to try a real live sock? (as in an adult one). Hmmm, just might make the partner to this one first for a bit more of a practice. But do I dare even show this on Southern Summer of Socks?

Must mention, I had a lesson in international relations when reading a comment recently from Victoria, when I mentioned about making chocolate cake. Young Eve thought I should skip the cake and just eat the frosting to make me feel better. So hmmmm, cake icing really does make the world go round. Interesting! I like your style Eve.

13 comments:

Bells said...

OMG you actually did it! You're right. I'm bursting with pride and happiness for you! Don't you just feel on top of the world. Everyone gets those ladders between needles, to some extent. Even clever, experienced people.

Go knit a big one! Buy some yummy yarn and make something fabulous.

Rose Red said...

Yay Carol!! It looks fantastic!! Go on, make a big 'un, you can do it!! And you should so definitely post it on SSS!

Denise said...

Woo hoo! Well done :D I did that training sock for my first one ever too, it's a great way to get fast results and learn a lot as you go!

Now onto BIG socks for your very own feets ;)

Georgie said...

Yay Carol - well done! Isnt it a fabulous feeling? You can do a big one no worries - I did a training sock a few weeks ago and a full-sized one has been much less daunting since then. Go for it!

Amandac said...

Love your sock sweetie! Very cute :)
Great to hear you are feeling better and I have to say that LO of Bo is just adorable - love how you used Sharon's sequins.

Suzi said...

Well done Carol!!! Looks so cute!!

gemma said...

It looks like a very fine sock! You go girl.

DrK said...

that is a perfectly constructed first sock, which means all future ones will be even better. ladders are still the bane of my sock kniting existence, even tho im a tight knitter, so maybe we can get some SSS help on that one. well done!!!

Victoria said...

The sock is fantastic! I am eager to see your adult sock...that sounds a little racy!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Great sock, but you ppor thing, you've been sick?
Hope you are over it. Interested in the Photo book idea, how did that work?
I don't watch Oz Idol anymore, it seemed to be all about the judges and I can't bear to see people belittled, makes me sad! lol Tracey

jp said...

Go Carol!

You did really well. It looks fab.

We will cheer you on all the way with the full size one.

The feeling of wearing a sock you made yourself is really satisfying.

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! congratulations on your first sock!!! it's beautiful, I love the colors!!!

knitting is such a mistery to me!!! you totally rock!!!

Huge hugs & kisses and I've missed you!!!

Mariquita

Laura said...

It's precious! Congratulations on your first! I'd tell you all about ladders, picking up stitches, but am sure you've learned all that by now.