Sunday, June 24, 2007

Antz

Oh my, I feel like I'm in the middle of the movie with a starring role at the moment. I've just come back from the supermarket in the next town and about to embark on my most hated job (well one of them anyway!) to put the groceries away and I open the cupboard and there are ants. A zillion of them. All in the pantry. I've just had everything out, cleaned and back again. What a job. I wasn't particularly planning on doing that today.

Does anyone else get ants like we do? It's a small plague at the moment. Is it the weather doing this? Tracey? You're the closest to me in this neck of the woods, is it a problem for you too?

In a recent comment Bells asked about my 'Things that Never Really Happened' layouts.

Got a question for you - how long do you mull over a photo before you come
up with story? Do they just tumble out of your brain or do you agonise for
ages?Can you do a post on your processes? Pretty please?

Hmmmm, let me think on that. I only started doing them after seeing some really quirky layouts from lhanks and Spidergirl and now Victoria in the Designer Digitals gallery. Oh they have all just cracked me up and really appealed to my sense of humour.

So I guess my process with the ones I've done is to find a picture that has something different about it. Kind of like how a cartoonist hones in on something from his subject when doing a caricature. Like a big nose or funny hair or a strange outfit. I guess I am looking at the pics like that and trying to find something about it that tumbles about into a story.

For instance the layout I'm about to show you that I did last night, just the way the two people have their cheeks pressed to each other. And not just pressed, it looks like they're touching really hard, like they are glued together. Hence the journalling I came up with. Nothing overly magical about the process, it's just finding the quirky pictures. I guess having an overactive imagination and a wicked sense of humour and being able to spot the ridiculous in every day events somewhat helps, LOL.

Oh and somehow my imaginary family members all cheekily and by sheer coincidence mind you have the same names as those of my friends. Fancy that.

(Oh except TomKat or Brittany and Kevin. I don't really know them, LOL).



Credits
Scraplift of Dagmar’s “You Will Never Know” for Lifts with a Twist

So Lovely paper by Meredith Fenwick
Butterfly – Ad Challenge by Dana Zarling
Natali Stitching
Postcard Journalers by Katie Pertiet
Frame – Vintage Frames No. 5 by Katie Pertiet
Swirls from Grandma’s Attic Kit by Michelle Coleman
Lace from Don’t Forget Autumn from Kasia of Scrappy 3 Friends
Buttons – Lindsay Jane Designs Spring Buttons
Sticky tape – Tape It by Liz Pike of Strawberry Wine Designs
Font – Antique Type and Jefferson
Photograph – art e zine

3 comments:

Bells said...

oh thanks for such a considered answer to the question I'd been waiting to hear back on. You do have a wicked sense of humour. I've always loved that about you.

Those silly people - snuggling when there's superglue near by!

We had ants badly last summer. After months of trying to treat them, they just packed up and moved. We were not sorry they left.

Victoria said...

Oh, my cheeks hurt...from laughing! Poor Kath and Mick! You have infused my morning with a great kick start...Thanks!

We get little black (p!ss) ants in the South. I had to do a perimeter spray in the kitchen and front room to discourage their forays into my house. The kids are annoyed by them, but are perfectly willing to squash them with their fingers. They move on after a couple of weeks. I'm sure they will be back next year...same bat time, same bat channel!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Hi, love that one as well. Our ant situation has just about settled down, was worse a month or two ago. We had never had them any other year. Actually, come to thunk of it there was one day during the week when they were on the benches but not too bad.
Looks like we have both had some Melbourne retail therapy, gotta love the DFO's! Tracey