Thursday, December 4, 2008

Can't help but be impressed

So my last post I mentioned I had just sent away my book to Shutterfly to get printed. And it's Thursday now and I've received an email to tell me it is winging it's way to me as I type. Now that's service! Soon soon soon it will be in my hot little hands. I can't wait.

Here's another couple of pages that went into the book, thought I better put a wedding page in and some of my loveliest memories of my family at our wedding. Gosh dad was scared when he walked me down the aisle. I remember sitting in the back of the car with him as we were chauffeured to the venue. I said "so dad, this is where you have to give me some advice and words of wisdom". He could hardly speak he was so nervous. So instead of any worldly speech from him, he started talking to the driver about the mighty Cats !

Here's a double page spread, both pages using the fabulous new Uptown kit by creashens.


Photobucket




Photobucket



And although you've not seen all the pages of the book, you'll still have more to see, I absolutely love the front page I created. I had a vision in my head that it was going to be white and I love this paper. I can't wait to see it all done.


Photobucket

Credits here.

You know sometimes fate comes in and lends a helping hand. Do you believe in that? I do. Mum had been invited to a memorial night that the funeral home puts on each Christmas. She dearly wanted to go, but doesn't drive and doesn't particularly like going out at night, so passed it up.

Step in my work. I was told to go to a training course down in Geelong on Wednesday and to travel down Tuesday night and stay over. Unbeknowns to anyone at work that this would work in perfectly, I could take mum to the memorial night and attend myself also. You just don't question this type of luck do you?

My goodness, there were hundreds there. Sometimes you feel like you're the only one going through it and then you look around and everyone there was grieving a loss. It was a beautiful night, some songs from a woman with the most angelic voice, a talk about getting through the Christmas season and some ideas to implement to help us through it and honour our loved one at the same time. Then we got to light a candle from one of the four main candles they had lit amongst many tears from our part - memory, courage, life, love. Afterwards they gave us all a balloon and we went outside and let them go flying free high in the sky. Very freeing. Then a supper afterwards if we wanted to stay.

I don't think mum has changed her mind as to wanting not to join in any festivities over Christmas and for solitude, but I do think it's helped heal just a wee little part of her heart.

I must admit I often look for signs. Signs from dad. Silly may be, hopeful possibly. I do like to think that dad had a role in making sure that this course was on and I had to attend when I did, to enable mum (and me) to get to that night. I'm going to believe that anyway.

That's it from me tonight. It's raining very steadily outside right now. I've done a lot of sewing tonight, so now it's time for bed. G'night.

4 comments:

Lisa Beth said...

{{Carol and Mum}} What a beautiful ritual, I'm so glad you got to be there with your mother. Such a hard season. I like to have a "Service of the Longest Night" to help people through, but you're in summer rather than winter so that wouldn't make sense! Love the candles and the summer rain. I'm sure it was your dad. :-)

And your wedding day - so beautiful! Love how you arranged the pages, showing all those wonderful smiles.

Amandac said...

hun the book is magnificent! I really hope that you can get someone to take some photos when your Mum opens the book so that you can be sitting right there beside her with tissues and hugs. You should be so proud of yourself Carol.

I believe in signs too Carol and I also believe that our loved ones are always with us, in our hearts, in our thoughts, and all around us. Remember the joyful.

Chocolate Cat said...

How special that you were able to go to the memorial. Mum and I attended one at the hospital that Dad had all his treatment at a few months after he passed away and it was very comforting.
Love the front page and the wedding pages!

Lynne said...

The pages, are as usual, gorgeous. I love the cover page - so simple and elegant! Can't wait to read about your mum's reaction!