Sunday, November 2, 2008

The man in white is always right

Isn't that how it goes? Except nowadays the man in white at the footy has become a man in a myriad of colours. I don't like the baseball caps on the goal umpires, I don't like all these neon colours they are now wearing. It looked so respected in the past being the man in white.

My dad was a goalie for a zillion years as we were growing up and even when he stopped waving the flags, he was still involved on the appointment panel. I bet you didn't know that even the local football games in the oval up the road may have someone scoring the umpires, on their skill, managing the play, decorum, etc. He spent 46 years involved with his beloved football umpires so we grew up going to matches. Oh those were the good old days, we would sit in the car along the boundary fence, tooting the horn when goals were kicked, on the nice days we'd be sitting on the car bonnet cheering the play, a meat pie in one hand, thermos of drink in the other. It brings back so many memories. And oh for half time when the players went off the ground and all the kids (old and young alike) would en masse take over the ground kicking their own balls around.

These were my winter Saturdays growing up. And a perfect opportunity for a page in the family album, along with an ... err ... quite funny story. Hmmm, it is plain to see where I get my sense of humour from is it not?

Photobucket


Credits here.





The lovely Lynne of Too Hot to Knit (yes Lynn, I know I've been slack in showing my knitting, but I'm up to the toes of the second sock I'm currently knitting, so soon, I promise, soon! LOL) presented me with a very warm and fuzzy award recently. Isn't it pretty?



This blog world really is a lovely place to be. I need to award this as a pay it forward to some of my favourite blogs, so I will do that during the week. Thanks Lynne!!




In between scrapping and knitting (and sitting here indulgently with Molly who I fear can sense a thunderstorm coming, oh I'd say in the next half hour judging by the look in her eyes), I've been sewing. I've put a few new offerings on Molly*Bo Gifts so go check them out.



Well I suppose I best go do some ironing before this storm that seems to be coming hits. I had to buy a new iron during the week, mine actually blew up last weekend. Not from overuse I might add! ROFL. I hate ironing!

3 comments:

Lynne said...

I don't hate ironing - I love the smell of freshly ironed clothes - but I hate the way ironed clothes crush in the wardrobe. So, I iron before I wear! No more standing for hours ironing everything in sight. [My great aunt used to even iron the undies!! eek!!]

As for the award, you're welcome.

Victoria said...

I love the story and history of the men in white. Your layout is beyond cool! What fun memories you have!

My iron may have blown up, too. I wonder when I'll find out?

Bells said...

Gorgeous. A lovely tribute to all those years your dad did what he loved.

I hate ironing. My ironing lady has gone back to full time work so I have to find another one!