Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hump Day

Isn't that what they call Wednesdays? Not sure why. But oh well, for want of another title, hump day it will be.

Before I go any further I'm really pretty chuffed. On of my favourite blogs to haunt is Gallery Standouts. See anything you recognise??? Hmmm??? MY LAYOUT. On Gallery Standouts!!! That has never happened before. And for them to have chosen by "What Happens" layout too, it's such a special one. My friend Jodie alerted me to the fact and I immediately raced to get Mike to have a look and got the obligatory "Oh that's nice dear". WHAT?!?!?!? Doesn't he realise this is a big deal for me. Hmmmph. At least my scrapbooking buddies celebrate our toot toots.

This really is turning into random mutterings right now. I got a big bag of lemons the other day from mum's neighbour. What to do? I really get annoyed if I need one lemon and have to pay over 50cents for it at the supermarket, and now I've received about 50. I dearly want to make some lemon butter but I can't find my grandma's old recipe. I am on the hunt. But never fear, I made lemon delicious pudding tonight and it was sensational. Even Mike liked it and he's not a dessert/sweets fan. Which meant he got seconds and I didn't, but that probably is a good thing right. ha!

There were a few comments posted recently that I ought respond to.

Esther asked if mum and dad had kept the letters? Well I'm pretty sure they didn't, but they do have the first letter mum wrote to dad when he first responded and she found out he wasn't an American Airforce fellow. Actually that "What Happens" layout I rejigged a bit, the one in the album will have mum's letter which I scanned the first page, tucked in behind the picture. She says in it "Well this is certainly a nice surprise having you write, but I wonder how you got my name and address? Let me tell you a bit about myself...". It goes well with my journalling and nice that it's in her hand. She has however kept the very last letter dad wrote to mum before they got married. It's very very sweet.

Susie mentioned the clarity of the photo of mum in her nurses uniform. Well that was a trial in itself. I tried every which way to scan the photo which mum had in a frame on the mantlepiece. I "borrowed" it without her knowing. And it just wouldn't scan. But I think it's because it's kind of a photo but kind of that hand colouring of the photo, so it just wouldn't scan properly, very strange things were happening to the jpg. So I ended up going outside and taking a photograph in natural light of the photo, and that was the result, which I was quite pleased with.

I'm pretty excited, my brother rang today and told me he's scanned another 100 negatives and they're on the way in the post to me now. I can't wait to go through them and really get a lot more family pages done for the book. So while on the subject I may as well show you another layout I've done for the family book, a more up to date one. No particular grand story, just a page which speaks volumes as to their relationship.

Note the hideous wallpaper. Mum and dad were visiting me and this was a rented house I was living at. Can we all together now say ... "seventies" !!!!

Photobucket


Credits here.

So time for bed for me. I got quite a bit of interrupted sleep last night. At 4.30am I feel a bang bang bang on the bed and it was Molly nudging me, she wanted out. So off I trot in a daze, let her out for a wee and as it was below 0 celsius there was no way she was staying out there, so in she raced. Back to bed. At 5.30am I feel another bang bang bang on the bed and she wanted out again. Arrrrrrggggghhhh. Well she can stay out that time. Then another half hour and my alarm was waking me up. And of course Mike didn't hear any of it. Grrrrr.

Before I go, happy 10th anniversary to my dear friend who I'm sure will be reading this. You will know who you are. You changed my life and made it a better place.

6 comments:

Esther Andrews said...

I got a bunch of lemons from my FIL, which is handy seeing as I'm at home with the sniffles - lots of lemon tea! You can also squeeze them into ice trays and put them in the freezer. I do that sometimes and then forget what they are. It is special that you have a couple of letters! And huge congrats on the gallery standouts gig!

Jodie said...

Apparently it's called Hump Day because it is the middle of the week, and after today it is all downhill to the weekend (I only know that because I asked someone last year lol!)

You so deserved the gallery standouts gig... and "thats nice dear" is just the typical husband comment, mine doesn't really "get" it either.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on having your layout featured! It is BIG DEAL to be on there. it was for me when I had one featured recently. My hubby is the same way, "oh, that's nice." Men! :)

Jenny
My Website
My Blog

Bells said...

hey CArol - they are two fantastic photos of your parents. It's clear they were friends and very close even into old age!

Victoria said...

WOOT WOOT!...for your TOOT TOOT! Congratulations! They would do back flips if they checked your entire gallery!

The photograph of your mum turned out crystal clear. Great idea to try outside.

The layout with your mum being such a cut up is so fun!

Amandac said...

Oh my CONGRATULATIONS Carol!!!! That LO soooo deserved it though! Wow you just keep getting better and better my friend! Yeah men just don't appreciate things like that but what can you do? Go talk to your GF and they will toooot for you hahahahaha! Oh and how is the job going???