Sunday, December 9, 2007

Long time no blog

My word it's been almost a week since my last entry. Where did the week go? Oh I know ... shopping, knitting, wrapping, tree setting upping (LOL).

Actually I'm being rather flip, I went to see my parents on Thursday and took my mum shopping for the day. We went to Highpoint, it has doubled in size since I last went, was a fabulous day. She had booked a carer to come in for the day to be with dad, the first time mum had had a whole day off. We got back with 4 minutes to spare! We had had fun, we shopped, we had the most glorious hot chocolates at Max Brenners, a first visit for me. Mum really enjoyed the break knowing dad was in good hands.

Because the heat had really hit dad hard, we had a difficult time that night getting him to bed. My mum deserves a medal, I don't know how she does it. Mum being 4'11" and dad near on 6'. It takes about half an hour from getting dad out of his lift chair to finally pulling the sheets up in bed. He has a lot of trouble walking and it's really slow going. More often than not he freezes where his legs won't do what his brain wants them to do, sometimes he falls. When it didn't look like it was going to work the first time we sat him back down in his chair and mum went out to get something. I held his hand and he looked at me with tears in his eye, a look of defeat. It was heartbreaking. I hate this for him, I really do.

So I guess that's a fair bit why I haven't been in a Christmas mood as yet. Still haven't mailed my parcels, still got some cards to mail. I only just set up the tree this afternoon. I've only had 3 weeks off work! Don't you love how I work best under stress and leave things till the last moment.

Number one son is staying with us at the moment. He has just finished high school, not quite sure which way to jump. It's been fun having him here. Took this photo yesterday of two partners in crime!

Credits here.

Sharon put a fabulous new paper pack with some bonus goodies in the shoppe at twolittlepixels, called Xmas Brights. I had started out thinking I might do some kind of Christmas layout and it ended up into Shed Talk. Shows how versatile these papers are. Trust me, our shed is so far removed from anything Christmassy at all. How absolutely brilliant is the pink in this paper pack, I can't wait to use that too.




5 comments:

Heather said...

Oh, that story about your father is heartbreaking. It must be so cruel to be fully mentally functioning but have your body not responding (this is why ALS/Lou Gehrig's Disease scares the crap out of me). Hope the weather gets easier on him soon.

Bells said...

Your mum really has it hard, doesn't she? Just a sad, sad thing to see a big strong man failing. Hugs to you all.

Love that photo!

Amandac said...

Big hugs Carol - I'm so sorry for your Dad's pain and for the worry that you and your mother are going through. Thinking of you *hug*

Victoria said...

(((Hugs))) to your dear mum and dad!

The layout of those handsome bonding fellows is fantastic!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Love the pic of the boy and his Dad, different to his sister isn't he!
Sorry to hear about your Dad but so nice that you and Mum had a great day, does the carers a world of good.
Our letters must have crossed in the mail...great minds think alike! Tracey